The accumulation of plaque and calculus around the teeth and under the gums can cause numerous dental problems including tooth decay, gingivitis, bone loss, halitosis (bad breath), and eventually, tooth loss. Routine examinations and cleanings help us detect problems early on, and keep your dental health on track.
Dental Exam- 60 mins.
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr Davis at your initial dental visit, and recommendations will be made as needed. Dr Davis will spend time reviewing your medical and dental history, addressing your individual concerns and providing dental health education.
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination for tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning- 60 mins
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include the following:
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, (almost) invisible film that forms on the teeth over time- a colony of bacteria, food debris and saliva. The bacteria produces toxins that cause inflammation…the beginnings of periodontal disease.
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Tooth polishing: Removes stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.